Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Frequently Asked Questions About Unclaimed Money

Q. How do I find out if I have Unclaimed Property?
A. On this Web site, click on the unclaimed property database, enter your name or business name in the field provided and click search.
Q. Is there a time limit for claiming my property?
A. Yes, there is a time limit for filing a claim. Those properties with a "D" must be claimed within the prescribed filing deadline.  Those with an "A" may be claimed through the process outlined in this website until the end of the statutory three-year holding period.
Q. How do I submit a claim?
A. Unclaimed Money Forms can be printed from our website by clicking on the name of the property you're interested in claiming, or, you may obtain one from the Riverside County Treasurer's Office located at 4080 Lemon Street, 4th Floor, Riverside, CA 92501. Our office hours are 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
Q. How does the claim process work?
A. The filing instructions found on our website describe how to complete the Unclaimed Money Form. These filing instructions list documentation that you must provide when filing your claim. All claim types have general required information, such as:
  • Copy of a current government issued photo identification (e.g., driver license, state identification card, passport, etc) for each claimant
  • Specific documentation proving your ownership (e.g., property tax bill, grant deed, proof of payment, etc.)
Q. What is a property identification number?
A. Every unclaimed property item has an identification number assigned by our office at the time the account is placed into our database. The property identification number is identified in the Property ID column. You will need this number whenever you contact us regarding your claim. Our office recommends that each claimant keep this number until the claim has been processed.
Q. What do the letters in the type column mean?
A. Items with a "D" under the "Type" column indicate they are claimable, only within the prescribed filing period. The deadline to turn in claims for these items is stated on the claim form. These items have remained on deposit in the County Treasury for a period exceeding three years. Pursuant to provisions of Section 50050 of the California Government Code, notice is hereby given that these unclaimed monies will become the sole and final property of the County of Riverside on the filing deadline indicated unless a valid and acceptable claim is filed on or before that date with the County Treasurer.
  Items with a "P" under the "Type" column indicate a pending status. Claims have been received and are being evaluated and processed.
  Items with an "A" under the "Type" column may be claimed through the process outlined in this website until the end of the statutory three-year holding period. At the end of the period, the "Type" will be changed to a "D", designating the claim deadline.
Q. Can my funds be electronically transferred to my current bank account?
A. No, the Riverside County Treasurer's Office cannot transfer your unclaimed property funds to your current bank account.
Q. If I have had a name change, what kind of documents will be accepted as proof to claim property associated with my former name?
A. You will need to establish that you are the person whose name appears on the account. The following are examples of documents that can be used to prove your former name:
  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court document identifying the name change
  • Citizenship documents
  • Adoption papers
  • Amended birth certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Driver's license
  • Passport
Q. Can I submit a claim online?
A. No, claims must either be submitted by mail or can be dropped off at the counter of the Riverside County Treasurer's office located at 4080 Lemon Street, 4th floor in Riverside, CA 92501. Our office hours are 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
Q. What type of documentation must I submit with my claim?
A. You must provide a photocopy of a current government issued photo identification and submit any other documentation that would support your claim.  If you are submitting a claim on behalf of a business, please include a business card and a notarized affidavit. Please refer to the filing instructions for additional information and read the Privacy Notification portion of the filing instructions for other types of documentation that could be requested, depending on the situation.
Q. Do I need to submit a separate claim form for each item I want to claim?
A. Yes, each Unclaimed Money Form is specific to a unique Property ID.
Q. Where do I send my claim form?
A. Riverside County Treasurer
Attn: Fiscal Compliance - Unclaimed Money
P.O. Box 12005
Riverside, California 92502-2205
Q. Will I be notified of my claim's status?
A. Once your package is received with all the required documentation, it will be reviewed. If the documentation is not adequate to prove your ownership, our office will contact you or return all documents submitted, with a letter stating why the claim is incomplete. Please do not inquire on the status of your claim unless it has been over 60 days from the date you mailed your package.
Q. Once approved, how long will it take to receive the money?
A. All claims will be reviewed and processed within 60 days from receipt of a completed claim package. Claims will be evaluated for validity and approved or rejected by the Treasurer. Once approved, it can take from six to eight weeks to receive a county warrant.
Q. What can I do if my claim is rejected?
A. If rejected by the Treasurer, the party who submitted the claim may file a verified complaint seeking to recover all, or a designated part, of the money in a court of competent jurisdiction within the County of Riverside.  A copy of the complaint and summons issued thereon must be served to the Treasurer within thirty days of the notice of rejection.  The Treasurer shall then withhold the release of the portion of unclaimed money for which the court action has been filed, pending final decision of the court.
Q. Does the Treasurer's unclaimed property database include real estate property?
A. No, the Riverside County unclaimed property database does not include real estate property.
Q. What if I have additional questions?
A. You may direct all inquiries to our email address: [email protected] and reference the Property ID number.